795 square miles, North Carolina's eleventh largest county
* Ava Gardner - Hollywood movie actress
* Barry Foote - Major league baseball player for the New York Yankees and Montreal Expos
* Edward Pou - Congressman in U.S. House of Representatives from 1901 to 1934
* Lunsford Richardson - inventor of Vicks Vapo-Rub
* Neal Lancaster - PGA golfer
370 feet, near Clayton
Formed in 1746 from Craven County; named in honor of Gabriel Johnston, Royal Governor of North Carolina 1734-1752.
East-central part of North Carolina; bounded by Wilson, Wayne, Sampson, Harnett, Wake and Nash counties.
Benson, Clayton, Four Oaks, Kenly, Micro, Pine Level, Princeton, Selma, Smithfield and Wilson's Mills
Smithfield, formed in 1777
157,267 (2007); fastest growing county in North Carolina in the last ten years; in top 100 fastest growing counties in United States during same period.
Neuse River, Little River